Pelenhar the Damned
The Khazdain or Dwarves as they are commonly known are perhaps the least Sidhe of all the Fey races. They loved Arda like none other of the Sidhe. In the beginning of days they left the Annwyn in large numbers to make their home in Arda. When the Great Sundering happen, they felt it the least because they had already made Arda their home. Ulidin Greathammer summed it up with his statement “We are Khazdain, the Children of the Mountain. We stand upon the rock and where we stand is Khazmar, where we are is home.”
They are a clannish people who migrate in pursuit of fresh mines, wealth and honor. This migratory nature is perhaps the most significant of the Khazdain cultural traits and informs all of the others. No matter how rich the vein, no mine lasts forever and because mines are the economic center of every Khazdain community, when it dries up, the community is deserted for the next. Because of the transitory nature of their communities most Khazdain will have experienced wide swings of fortune in their life. They as a people know what that they may be reduced to the cloths on their back, and their good name.
To the Khazdain their good name is the only thing that they will always possess and is not subject to fickleness of fate. It is their most valued possession and they guard like nothing else. This is why they often seen as humorless and have little patience for who are frivolous are dishonorable. To one of the Khazdain, someone who would tarnish their reputation would is someone who would do them an injury that can never be healed.
At apparent odds with this is the Khazdain apparent avarice. There is no doubt that as a people, the Khazdain are drive to acquire large amounts of wealth. What most people do not understand is that there are 20 males to every female and with that discrepancy the bride-price that a male Khazdain must pay to acquire a bride often takes decades if not centuries to accumulate. If a Khazdain is to have children and establish his own line, he must gain a fortune.
- Physical Description: The Khazdain are a short and stocky race, and stand about a foot shorter than most humans, with wide, muscular bodies that account for their burly appearance. Both male and female Khazdain pride themselves on the length of their hair, and men often decorate their beards with a variety of clasps and intricate braids. A clean-shaven male dwarf is a sure sign of madness, or worse—no one familiar with their race trusts a beardless dwarf.
- Relations: Khazdain and goblins have long dwelt in proximity, theirs’s a history of violence as old as both their races. Khazdain despise and shun half-goblins. They find the Kilispher to be an honest, hard working people, rarely given to glory but worthy of respect. They tend to distrust the Sindarin due to a history of conflicts due to miscommunication, the Silvarin’s closeness to the Sidhe and their apparent tendency to change their minds and their interest often. On the other hand they have a great deal of respect for the skills and artistry of the Sindarin . It is with humans that Khazdain share the strongest link, for humans’ industrious nature and hearty appetites come closest to matching those of the Khazdain ideal.
- Alignment & Religion: The Khazdain are a goodly people, driven by their sense of honor. They are slow to trust, devoutly loyal and hesitant to forgive. They worship the “Seven Fathers under the Mountain”.
- Adventurers: There are many reasons the Khazdain might become adventurers, they could be prospecting, they could be on a quest, they could be dispossessed or they could be seeking wealth to acquire a bride, they could be seeking to fulfill a blood oath, or they could be seeking to make their name.
- Khazdain Names: Khazdain names are a complicated construct, including the names and honorifics of all of their notable ancestors. It is not uncommon for a formal introduction to take hours.
Kor means “Son of”, Kyr mean “Nephew of”, Ki means “Grandson of”
- Male Names: Thordin, Ragnor, Baelin, Koridin, Bradlin, Kaelor
- Female Names: Aesla, Bromlis, Ingara, Korina, Jyrna
- Stats: +2 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Cha
- Size: Despite rarely being taller then 4 feet tall, Khazdain are considered medium due to there heavy build and stout frame
- Speed: Khazdain only have a move of 20 but that speed is never effected by their level of encumbrance
- Vision: Darkvision 60 ft
- Racial Traits:
- Defensive Training: Khazdain receive a +4 AC modifier in combat against Giants and Giant Kin.
- Hatred: Khazdain receive a +1 modifier on attack rolls against all Goblins
- Hardy: Khazdain receive a +2 on saves vs poisons, spells & Spell like abilities.
- Stability: +4 CMD to resist bull rush and Trip attempts
- Sidhe Kin: Because of their historic connection to Fey, Kahazdaindain who consume food or water in the Twilight Lands need only make a DC 10 Fort save to resist being bound by the consumption of food or water under the endless sky
- Sidhe Exile: due to their close ties to Arada, the Khazdain cannot automatically open a fey gate or Portal. Like a human, they must take the ritual of opening feat to Access the Twilight Paths
- Weapon Familiarity:Dwarves are proficient with battleaxes, heavy picks, and warhammers, and treat any weapon with the word “dwarven” in its name as a martial weapon.
- Languages:Dwarves begin play speaking Analast (Common) and Khazdain (Dwarven). Dwarves with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Giant, Goblin, Silvarin (Elvish), Se Analst (Ancient human root tongue), UrKhador (Ancient/High Khazdain), Terran, and Undercommon.
- Level Adjustment: 0